¸Åü À¥»çÀÌÆ® 
À̽´ µ¿ÇØ 
¾ð¾î ¿µ¾î
¼­ÇѺ¸³»´Â°÷ my.nd.edu
¿À·ù³»¿ë µ¿Çظ¦ Ses of JapanÀ̶ó Ç¥±âÇÔ
E-mail / Contact ndalumni@nd.edu
¼­·Ð

To whom it may concern,

Hello, my name is Sejin Kim, and I am a freshman at Gaepo High School in Korea. I would like to start with thanking you for the wonderful information your website has provided. However, I would like to point out some minor errors in your information and ask you a favor to consider correcting it.

º»·Ð

The marginal sea between the Korean peninsula, the Japanese archipelago, and Russia, is currently referred to as ¡°Sea of Japan¡±, with the name ¡°East Sea¡± in parentheses, on your website. However, that reference is inaccurate and should be instead corrected to ¡°East Sea¡± for the following reasons. Historically, the sea in question was documented as ¡°East Sea¡± in Korea since the 12th century. In contrast, the name ¡°Sea of Japan¡± was first used and documented during Japan¡¯s imperialist years, when Korea was under Japanese rule and was unable to express its interests internationally. Also, geographically, the sea in question is surrounded by more than one country, and so under rule of several different countries. With a part of Korea¡¯s EEZ being a considerable part of said sea, we think it is inappropriate to use the name ¡°Sea of Japan¡± to a body of water with a shared sovereignty. 

°á·Ð

For the reasons stated above, I ask of you that the name ¡°East Sea¡± replace or at least be written and treated as an equal to the name ¡°Sea of Japan¡±. I hope you understand that this is not just a simple matter of calling names, but a matter of historic and geographic right. Thank you for your time.

Best regards,

Sejin Kim

¼­ÇѼö½Åó  [º¹»çÇϱâ]
Á¦¸ñ  [º¹»çÇϱâ]
Ä£¼±¼­Çѳ»¿ë  [º¹»çÇϱâ]