¸Åü À¥»çÀÌÆ® 
À̽´ µ¿ÇØ 
¾ð¾î ¿µ¾î
¼­ÇѺ¸³»´Â°÷ Amerocan Meteorological Society
¿À·ù³»¿ë
E-mail / Contact amsinfo@ametsoc.org
¼­·Ð

Dear Mister/Madam

Hello, I am Soohyung Kim, a high school student and a member of Dokdo Cyber Press of South Korea. Dokdo Cyber Press is students' volunteer group organized to promote proper historical facts about Korea and correct the errors in the naming of Dokdo Island and East Sea.

While surfing the Internet, I found the sea between Korea and Japan was described as "Sea of Japan" in your site.

º»·Ð

I understand that the name "Sea of Japan" has been used worldwide since the 19th century and is quite fixed as a standard name. However, have you thought that this name is an unjust vestige of Japanese imperialism and the lack of understanding and respect by west for the history and tradition of Korea and East Asia region?

The name "East Sea" has been used in Korea for more than 2000 years and I can name innumerous maps and documents for that regard. On the contrary, the name 'Sea of Japan' was virtually non-existing till the recent past. By 19th century, even the maps produced by Japan referred to the sea between the two countries as the "Sea of Joseon(Korea)".

However, in the late 19th century, while Japan opened the door to the world and rose to a strong power in Asia, Korea seclude herself from western countries and became left behind. In the end, Korea fell prey to Japan's aggressive imperialism. Japan deprived Korea of everything from the sovereignty to various rights and interests, language, name etc. They destroyed the lives of a lot of innocent Korean people suppressing, harassing and killing them as well as sending young men and women to the war. (You may have heard about comfort women who were virtually sex slaves for soldiers) After WWII, by the Cairo Declaration, Potsdam Declaration, Supreme Commander for the Allied Powers (SCAPIN -677), and the Treaty of Peace with Japan from(aka Treaty of San Francisco), Japan had to return the territories she had forcefully annexed to Korea. However, Japan tried to steal Dokdo(AKA Liancourt Rocks) deceiving and lobbying the allied forces, especially US to nullify the articles describing Dokdo as Korean territory. Japan's trial was hardly successful. However, Japanese managed to grab some ambiguity and bit it like a bulldog claiming Dokdo as theirs.

You might ask what does it have to do with the naming of 'East Sea'. You mught think the naming of East Sea and the sovereignty over Dokdo are two different matters irrelevant to one another. You might also think to change the name of the sea would only make matter confusing and bothersome. However, I sincerely ask you to think one step further. Japan is showing seriously nationalistic and rightist turn nowadays. Japanese leaders openly pay respect to the Yasukuni Shrine, the symbol of nationalism and militarism and Japanese government tries to justify their wrong-doings before and during the world war II.

°á·Ð

Why don't you pay attention to this matter and join us in returning the sea between Korea and Japan its original and rightful name? 'East Sea' doesn't have any nationalistic or controversial nuance since it is located the far east side of Eurasia continent just next to Pacific Ocean. It would be not only the East Sea of Korea but also the East Sea of World. Don't you think 'Sea of Japan' is too exclusive to one country and totally disregarding the other? At least we should use both name.

Please kindly consider my plea.

Best regards,

Soohyung Kim

¼­ÇѼö½Åó  [º¹»çÇϱâ]
Á¦¸ñ  [º¹»çÇϱâ]
Ä£¼±¼­Çѳ»¿ë  [º¹»çÇϱâ]