¼­ÇѺ¸³»´Â°÷ CIA
¿À·ù³»¿ë Sea of Japan
E-mail / Contact jacobstone@nate.com
¼­·Ð
To Whom it may concern.
Central Intelligence Agency
United States of America

Gentlemen,

It is such a privilege for me to write this letter, since Central Intelligence Agency(Hereinafter called CIA) is doing very important job in the world. Also I have to say that CIA is where all important information is gathered. My name is Ji Hun Jeon and I¡¯m the member of VANK(Voluntary Agency Network of Korea). I¡¯m going to talk about the errors that you have on your information provided. Since I believe CIA must possess information that is accurate. As I have been searching on the internet I have found that on the map that you provide has error on it. If you go to
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/graphics/ref_maps/pdf/political_world.pdf
you will find that the sea between Korean peninsula and Japan is named as ¡®Sea of Japan¡¯. And this is wrong information; it must be named as East Sea. And I¡¯m going to explain why since the fact CIA is listing that sea as ¡®sea of Japan¡¯ is serious mistake in many ways.

º»·Ð
Let me explain it to you in 2 reasons.
Firstly, East Sea is appropriate since it is continental name.
If you look at the map, East Sea is connected with 4 different countries such as South Korea, Russia, North Korea and Japan. Territorial Sea, EEZ, etc, geographically, economically, and politically 4 different country¡¯s sovereignty are existing. So it is wrong to list that sea with particular country¡¯s name.
Also according to the international standard, the place where two countries are sharing and each of them are using different name, it must list both name until they come to an agreement. Now Korea and Japan are using different name, therefore it must be written (EAST SEA/ SEA OF JAPAN).
According to the history, the sea that was surrounded by France, England, Germany, and Denmark all were using different name such as Sea of France, Sea of England, Sea of Germany, and Sea of Denmark. But after IHO(International Hydrographic Organization) was founded, since that sea was located northern part of European continent it was named as ¡°North Sea). The sea between Korea Peninsula and Japan must be written East Sea, since it is located on the east part of Eurasia continent.

Secondly, listing East Sea as Sea of Japan implies agreement to Japan¡¯s Imperialism.
In 1919 international society has opened International Hydrographic Organization and IHO was founded in 1921. Japan sent their delegate but Korea couldn¡¯t since we were under the colonization of Japan by that time. In 1929 IHO published ¡®Limits of Oceans and Seas¡¯ and the Sea of Japan were selected in that book. And it was the reason that Sea of Japan has spread all over the world. But Korea couldn¡¯t stop it because we were under the colonization.

°á·Ð
I believe CIA must possess information that is accurate. Moreover as a pride of America CIA must not agree the term that is derived from Japan¡¯s Imperialism. Please consider changing the name of that sea. Thank you for reading this and I look forward to your favorable reply soon.

P.S: Contact me at
jacobstone@nate.com

¼­ÇѼö½Åó  [º¹»çÇϱâ]
Á¦¸ñ  [º¹»çÇϱâ]
Ä£¼±¼­Çѳ»¿ë  [º¹»çÇϱâ]