ÀÛ¼ºÀÏ : 20-10-18 00:10
 ±Û¾´ÀÌ : Çѱ¹°úÇпµÀçÇС¦
Á¶È¸ : 499  
https://www.greenbiz.com/article/inside-haunting-ghost-ships-sea-japan
¼­ÇÑ ½ÃÁ¤¼­ÇÑ 
¸Åü À¥»çÀÌÆ® 
À̽´ µ¿ÇØ 
¾ð¾î ¿µ¾î
¼­ÇѺ¸³»´Â°÷ https://www.greenbiz.com/article/inside-haunting-ghost-ships-sea-japan
¿À·ù³»¿ë µ¿ÇØ Ç¥±â ¿À·ù
E-mail / Contact ian@theoutlawocean.com
¼­·Ð
Dear Mr. Urbina 

I am Jaeheon Shin, a high school student from South Korea. 
I am one of the student-volunteers who try to rectify any misunderstanding about S. Korea on cyberspace by searching for articles and sending letters to journalists for changes. 
I and my friends are doing this because our country had many disputes and conflicts with neighboring countries and many of them are still not fully resolved. 
As a young student living in such a nation, I believe it is critical to provide accurate information about the country and its relations with others in order to make our position clear in the international community. 
Yesterday, I surfed the web, read some articles, and happened to come across your article  "Inside the haunting 'ghost ships' in the Sea of Japan." (https://www.greenbiz.com/article/inside-haunting-ghost-ships-sea-japan). 
I really enjoyed your article because it talked about something that I didn't know at all, starved North Korean fishermen, and the intro was really vivid. I felt as if I was watching that ghost boats. 
But, I want to ask you to reconsider the naming of the East Sea in this article. 

º»·Ð
The title of your article has 'the Sea of Japan' in it. 
But, as you know, this water is a heavily disputed area between South Korea and Japan.
Japan has been trying to claim this sea as its own against historical records. 
But, what is for sure is East Sea has been the South Korean territory for so many years. 
The name "the East Sea" appears in the History of the Three Kingdoms, one of the Korean ancient history books, in around 59B.C., while Japan's record of calling it "The Sea of Japan" appeared much later.
Not only that, in practice, the East Sea is under South Korea's control and the Dok islet in the East Sea is populated only by South Koreans. 
The requirements for an islet to be a territory of a country are all fulfilled by South Korea, not Japan. 
So, it is absolutely clear that the East Sea is legitimately South Korean water and therefore it is natural for it to be called the East Sea. 
Even if we give Japan the benefit of doubt, international laws and regulations including that of the UN acknowledge that the East Sea is disputed and thus needs to be recognized as such. 
UN recommends, "In case of a topographical feature under the sovereignty of more than one country if countries concerned failed to come to an agreement on a common name, it should be a general rule to accept all of the different names in each of the languages used by each of the countries concerned." 

°á·Ð
You also mentioned in your article, paragraph 9, " The fishing grounds in the Sea of Japan, known in the Koreas as the East Sea, are between the Koreas, Japan, and Russia, and include some of the world¡¯s most contested and poorly monitored waters."
You also used the name of "Ulleung Island" under the photo in your article instead of Takeshima as Japan argues. 
So, I believe you know well that many countries are related to the East Sea, and thus, this is not "Japan's Sea." 
I kindly ask you to consider the fact that this is really an emotionally and politically charged topic and use at least East Sea/ Sea of Japan together in the article. 
Thank you for taking the time to read this email. 

Sincerely yours 

Jaeheon 

¼­ÇѼö½Åó  [º¹»çÇϱâ]
Á¦¸ñ  [º¹»çÇϱâ]
Ä£¼±¼­Çѳ»¿ë  [º¹»çÇϱâ]