¼­ÇÑ ½ÃÁ¤¼­ÇÑ 
¸Åü À¥»çÀÌÆ® 
À̽´ µ¿ÇØ 
¾ð¾î ¿µ¾î
¼­ÇѺ¸³»´Â°÷ robert.j.gutro@nasa.gov
¿À·ù³»¿ë µ¿ÇØ¿¡ ´ëÇÑ Ç¥±â¿À·ù
E-mail / Contact robert.j.gutro@nasa.gov
¼­·Ð

Hello, Rob Guro NASA¡¯s Goddard Space Flight Center. I am a student of Hana Academy Seoul in South Korea. The reason why I contact you is because I saw the name of ¡°Sea of Japan¡± in your article ¡°NASA finds a transitioning cyclone Mitag filling the sea of Japan¡±. There is only the name called Sea of Japan to mention the sea between South Korea, North Korea, Russia and Japan and no other name was written in the passage. I suggest using the both name East Sea and Sea of Japan or only the East Sea. There are three reasons why the name of ¡°Sea of Japan¡± is incorrect.

º»·Ð

To begin with, the region which is called ¡°Sea of Japan¡± is actually where South Korea, North Korea, Russia and Japan are contiguous. Thus, it is improper to call it as the sea of one¡¯s country and it is necessary to find a proper name that every country can agree with. East sea is the name of the region which is widely used in South Korea and its name is created since the sea is in the east side of South Korea. According to United Nations Conference on the Standardization of Geographical Names, we should use both names of sea where countries next to the sea use.

Second, the name of East sea has historical legitimacy to be written in the world map. The name has been used between South Korea citizens for over 2000 years while the name of ¡°Sea of Japan¡± has been used only for 100 years.

Last, the name, East sea does not only mean the sea in the east side of South korea but also the sea in the east side of the Eurasian continent. Thus, the East Sea represents the geological characteristic, not represents the sole ownership of South Korea. Many countries can admit this name because it does not refer the sea of one country contrast to Sea of Japan.

°á·Ð

Therefore, I recommend you using both name (East Sea and Sea of Japan) when you explain about the region. It would be great honor when you recognize the story beside the name, Sea of Japan and consider it when you mentioned the region.

¼­ÇѼö½Åó  [º¹»çÇϱâ]
Á¦¸ñ  [º¹»çÇϱâ]
Ä£¼±¼­Çѳ»¿ë  [º¹»çÇϱâ]