¸Åü À¥»çÀÌÆ® 
À̽´ µ¿ÇØ 
¾ð¾î ¿µ¾î
¼­ÇѺ¸³»´Â°÷ info@allabout-japan.com
¿À·ù³»¿ë µ¿Çظ¦ Sea of JapanÀ¸·Î Ç¥±âÇÑ Áöµµ¸¦ »ç¿ëÇÏ¿´À½
E-mail / Contact happyjin6337@gmail.com
¼­·Ð

Dear All About Japan,

Hello. My name is Jinhwan Yoon, and I'm studying history at Dan-Kook high school.
While searching the web, I found your writing about Shinkansen. The contents were interesting, but I felt uncomfortable to see the map you have been using on the website below.
https://allabout-japan.com/en/article/5130/

I would like to inform you that the correct term to explain the sea between South Korea and Japan is 'the East Sea'.

º»·Ð
The reasons are as follows.
First, the term 'East Sea' is used more than 'Sea of Japan', 'Mer du Japon', etc. In South Korea, 'East Sea' has been used for more than 2000 years, and numerous historical records including Eight State Map(ø¢Ô³õÅÓñ), Samguksagi(ß²ÏÐÞÈÑÀ), King Dongmyeong's episode support this fact. We can also check this fact through many historical maps, including those from Japan. In contrast, the term 'Sea of Japan' or 'Mer du Japon' was first used in great universal geographic map(ÍÞæ¨Ø¿ÏÐîïÓñ) by Matteo Ricci in 1602. 
Moreover, international rules also agree with using 'East Sea' to describe it. The East Sea is shared by four countries, including South Korea, Russia, North Korea, and Japan. According to international rules, names of the land or sea adjacent to two or more countries should be determined through consultation between the countries concerned. If not, it is reasonable to write side-by-side the names that those countries use. These general principals are also mentioned by international hydrographic organization(IHO) and by U.N. conference of standardization of geographical names(UNCSGN).

°á·Ð
I think you may not have used the wrong map on purpose. But such errors like the one on your website are dangerous because they can lead to misunderstandings in future generations and even to historical distortions.
I ask you to change the map from the one you have currently been using to the one that uses the term 'East Sea'.

If you have any questions, please text me back. Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely
Jinhwan Yoon

¼­ÇѼö½Åó  [º¹»çÇϱâ]
Á¦¸ñ  [º¹»çÇϱâ]
Ä£¼±¼­Çѳ»¿ë  [º¹»çÇϱâ]