¸Åü À¥»çÀÌÆ® 
À̽´  
¾ð¾î
¼­ÇѺ¸³»´Â°÷ newsdesk@nzherald.co.nz
¿À·ù³»¿ë
E-mail / Contact
¼­·Ð
Dear New Zealand Herald

This is Christine Hyejion Choi from South Korea. I would like to ask you a favor about particular article on your website.

The sea lying between the Korean peninsula and Japanese archipelago is metioned incorretly on you June 1st, 2015 article "Solar plane in holding pattern over Sea of Japan." We hope you appreciate the importance of trascending historical bias and provide accurate information about the East Asia region. The sea which locates between Korea and Japan should be described as the "East sea"or at least with the simultaneous use of both names; "East Sea/Sea of Japan."

º»·Ð
According to international organization, "If each of two or more countries use different name, international organization advises the name's simplification, and if it can't do, it has to use both names." In fact, the sea around the Fernch Republic, the United Kingdom, the German Federal Republic, and the Kingdom of Denmark was called in may different names. However, after International Hydrographic Organization (IHO) was established, that seabecame "North Sea," because North Sea is located at northern part of Europe.

Furthermore, Dokdo, whcih is an island on the East Sea, is an intergral part of the Korean territory historically. The name, Takeshima/Liancourt Rocks seems to be taken from Japanese ot Japanese-influenced sources as Japan has illegally and inappropriately been working to use that name internationally.

The name "Dokdo" has been used by Korean people for long time. This is the legitimate name that should be used internationally. Against this back drop, we would like to request you to use the name 'Dokdo' when you refer to the island at issue, along with the name "East Sea."

°á·Ð
As a great source for online information and current news, I hope you will be able to make adequate corrections on your article. I look forward to your cooperation and it would be most helpful if you give me reason when you decide to adhere to current naming practice.

Thank you very much for you time and consideration.

With Kindest Regards,

Christine Hyejin Choi

¼­ÇѼö½Åó  [º¹»çÇϱâ]
Á¦¸ñ  [º¹»çÇϱâ]
Ä£¼±¼­Çѳ»¿ë  [º¹»çÇϱâ]